Saturdays are for indulgence. After the 9-5 weekly grind, early morning Saturday weigh-ins + workouts, indulgence in the spa, kitchen, bedroom… is welcome luxury.
This company – Immaculate is the baker of the worlds biggest cookie. I did not know this when i saw the mix at my local Target store. I was attracted to it because it contained all natural ingredients.
Call it what you like: MoinMoin, BeanCake, Bean Pudding, or anything else. This classic entree never looses style or its place on the plate.
MoinMoin is nutritious, filling, healthy, pleasant to the eyes, and keeps well in the fridge.
- 3 cups black eyed beans ( i used honey beans)
- 4 large red bell peppers ( mine was frozen because i buy them in bulk so freezing helps preserve them)
- 2 medium sized onions
- 2 stock cubes (I used Knorr chicken)
- Extra large shrimps
- Dry hot peppers
- 6 cups of boiling water (does not include the water used to wash and soak the beans)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- a midge of ground ginger and garlic
- Frozen raw Shrimps (thawed with cold water and seasoned with a tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1tsp Ms. Dash, 1 tsp ginger)
** Some people add Crayfish, sliced boiled eggs, corned beef and other things to MoinMoin. Treat MoinMoin like a plain canvas that you can customize to your liking.**
- Put the beans in a bowl.
- Rinse the beans.
- Pour warm water into the beans, enough to cover the beans. Leave to soften for about 2 mins.
- Begin to peel the skin off the beans by rubbing handfuls of beans vigorously between your palms.
- After about 7 mins, the skin of the beans should have floated to the top.
- Pour out the water and beans, use a sieve to catch the skin, and put the skin in the dustbin.
- Keep rinsing and sieving the beans until most or all of the skin is gone.
- Pour some more warm water into the bowl of skinned beans (enough water to cover the beans) and leave to soak for about 15 mins. – during this time the beans will almost double in size.
- Wash the peppers, and blend with onions until a semi chunky paste is formed. use about 1/3 cup of water from the 6 cup allocation.
- Pour the pepper blend into a large mixing bowl.
- Now begin to blend the beans using about 2 cups of water. DO NOT pour all the water in at the same time, else the beans will not blend properly.
- Blend the beans until a smooth paste is formed.
** Test the smoothness of the bean paste by rubbing a little between your finger tips. It should be completely smooth – No lumps**
- Pour the bean paste into the pepper blend and then add the rest of the boiling water, and other ingredients except the seasoned raw shrimps.
- Stir mixture until well combined and then set aside.
- Spray ramekins/ souffle dishes with PAM or oil them to prevent the MoinMoin from sticking.
- Pour in the beans mixture into the sprayed ramekins , place the shrimps on top of the mixture in each ramekin.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 25 – 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Now the VERDICT!!!!!
This MoinMoin is DELICIOUS, and we sell them!!! YES you read correctly. If you live in Baltimore, and you want some MoinMoin, call us on 443-990-1194. MoinMoin is sold by the dozen.
MoinMoin is versatile. It can be enjoyed by itself, used in place of meat in a sandwich or salad, serve as entree with sides such as plantain and jollof rice, it can be eaten as breakfast, lunch or dinner. The possibilities of MoinMoin are endless.
Oya come chop 🙂